I got a speeding ticket. Now What?

radar-gunMost of us have been stopped for speeding or some other minor traffic offense. What most of us don’t know is what to do next. Many, through some sense of misplaced sense of accountability, will simply send in the fine and assume they have put the problems associated with a traffic ticket behind them. Nothing could be further from the truth. Convictions for many traffic offenses can result in consequences to your driving record, increased insurance premiums, even a suspended license in some cases.

The question is: now what? I speak to a large number of people who intend to go to their own court appearance and try to resolve the matter on their own. You can appear in court in most cases and get some type of plea offer from the prosecutor. The problem is that most individuals do not have the training or experience to determine whether the offer made is a good one. Many make their court appearance, get an unacceptable offer and then come see me. This is a particularly bad scenario as a prosecutor is far more likely to dig his or her heals in if they have already made an offer.

An experienced attorney can review your driving record and understand the consequences of the points associated with individual offenses before meeting with the prosecutor. In addition, a traffic lawyer can make arguments in favor or greater reduction based on valid legal issues. Many tend to take these situations personally. Perhaps the officer was unprofessional at roadside and left you with a bad taste in your mouth. Angry people tend to cause prosecutors to “circle the wagons” resulting in unfavorable resolutions.

Lastly, what if your goal is to litigate the citation? Despite the fact that minor traffic citations are treated less formally than felonies in the courtroom most of the basic of courtroom procedure apply. You need an experienced courtroom attorney to advance your defenses. Traffic ticket matters often involve technical challenges of scientific equipment. These are not cases which should be taken lightly.

In the end, even with seemingly minor offenses, you need to seek experienced counsel. in

Ratings and Reviews